Thursday, May 24, 2012

What's Bugging Me...?

... I don't know!! I've been told these little moth looking bugs are called Mayflies or Shad flies... neither example matches the bug (I'll see if I can get a clear picture)... and I'm sure it doesn't surprise you that googling "little brown flying insect" or any variations like that isn't really helping!

Here's a few pictures:

Bug pic from the top
Another bug pic from top.. you can see the wings better










They are these little bugs that are a bit like gnats in that they fly all over the place and into your hair and mouth. Thanks to these little lovelies I was able to find out I walk with my mouth slightly open... fixed that habit!

Time of day doesn't seem to be an issue and in this heat (84F/29C) and humidity they're out and about, especially around the sidewalks/footpaths where they're the most annoying. Weirdly I see them a few blocks around where I work, but not around my house, or around other areas of the city I work in...

Just yesterday I was thinking how they appeared to have all gone... turns out I spoke too soon. As I was driving home from work and sitting at the traffic lights, as soon as the cars took off there were huge swarms coming up from around the vehicles. Were they on the ground? The vehicles? No idea.. but there are LOTS. They're so small that it's hard to get a good picture of a swarm of them but if I can I will :)

If anyone knows what they're called I would love to know!!

**Edit - Thanks to BugGuide.net I was able to determine that it's a Caddisfly but there are a few different kinds and I'm waiting to see WHAT kind it is :) Handy little site for those interested in these kinds of things like I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment