Friday, May 25, 2012

Memorial Day Holiday


As you'd expect, there are some "new" holidays here in the US that us Aussie's aren't used to celebrating.. like Thanksgiving (you'd be surprised how often I get asked whether we eat turkey in Australia on Thanksgiving as well), Halloween, 4th July... and this weekend, Memorial Day.

Memorial Day is like ANZAC day in that this is a day to honour all American soliders that have died in wars. We get a long weekend (yay three-day holiday), there will be memorial occasions, and like the 4th July a lot of people decorate their houses, yards, vehicles, and selves with American flags. They're having BBQ's (called "grilling" in some areas) and serving food on American flag themed plates, drinking from American flag cups, and wiping their faces with American flag serviettes (napkins).

That's actually one of the other things I like about Memorial Day... the fact that you can find American themed items EVERYWHERE.

Every now and then when I meet someone new they talk about how awesome Australia is (aww thanks guys!) and how they'd love a souvenir... I assume one day when I return to Aus people will ask me for American souvenirs (which of course I take to mean an American flag printed on something, or my state name or something) SO this is a great time to stock up :)

As I mentioned before, I'm not talking JUST flags that you wave around. You can find the flag on just about anything. I'm planning on stocking up on some "supplies" so that mum can take some stuff home when she visits, or to include in packages I send home (not that I have for a while... but the thought counts right?).

That's the thing about Americans, they're REALLY patriotic and if you were ever in any doubt that you were in America it won't take long to remember because you'll drive past a flag 5 minutes later. That's not a bad thing of course, just an observation :) Husband wants to put a flag pole in our yard. Has the spot picked out and everything and once we find the size/style he wants, and we find the flag to go with it, up it'll go. Part of me thinks there should be an Aussie flag up there as well but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it :)

26 May 2012 - Memorial Day
**Edit: Here's a picture I took May 26, 2012 

1 comment:

  1. I agree Vanessa about the flags this is such a patriotic country compared to home and something to get used to. Seeing flags all over the country no matter where you drive. My husband also has a flag and he put it out on flag day as he gor the bracket to place on our front porch. He has since bought me my Australian flag and pole and bracket and we will place the 2 flags out on flag day this year. We are a 2 nation household and we are proud to let all know that we are 2 countries joined together and that there is an Ausiie living here in the neighbourhood. He is proud of where I come from and is happy to show my flag as well.

    ReplyDelete