Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Intro

So rather than just jumping right in with my first post, I thought I should do a little intro/disclaimer type deal :)

I'm a 28 y/o Aussie living in small town Iowa, USA. I've been living in the US now for over 2 1/2 years so sometimes I'll use Aussie words, sometimes I'll use American words, sometimes I'll use both and sometimes I won't know which is which :P. I'll try where I remember to do conversions or translations but I'm also going to be doing a "translations" page at some stage... hopefully if I see a word I know is one way or the other (or someone points it out) I will link to that page with the definition so you can see a whole heap all at once :)

The funny thing about living in the US for "so long" (as it feels now) is that while I still identify as Australian (accent and all!) and miss my family back home, there have been occasions when talking to family where I've just naturally assumed whatever item I'm talking about, or word I'm using is Australian.. and it turns out it's not. There's a lot of changes that can happen in a country in almost 3 years so if I'm wrong about something PLEASE let me know (nicely is my preference of course :P).. it'll be good to see how much I've changed :)

I'm going to try and keep this light-hearted comparisons or new experiences, but it might evolve over time to include some advice pages for Aussie expats (such as my experiences with building credit or something like that)... we'll see what happens!

Mostly though, I feel like it's about time I publish some things I've been thinking about for a while, if for no other reason than to stop saying the same stories over and over :) And also to give some of my friends/family back home a more localised area to read about my life here.

Welcome and I hope you enjoy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment