Thursday, June 7, 2012

Day Trip to Des Moines - June 4, 2012

This Monday my husband and I drove the 3+ hours from our home town to make my 8am biometrics appointment in Des Moines that I needed done for my immigration paperwork (Removal of Conditions for those "in the know").

Civics flip cards I scored!
I haven't addressed the immigration side of my life here yet (fledging blog and all that) but in summary: I came to the U.S. in late 2009 on a fiancee visa (K1). After getting married within 90 days of my arrival (per USCIS requirements) we then had to apply for Adjustment of Status (AOS). After a stack of photocopying, a decent amount of money, a biometrics appointment (another 3 hour trip) and 3 months of waiting, I became the proud owner of a Green Card, making me a "Legal Permanent Resident" of the United States. This first card lasts only 2 years (due to being married under 2 years) and 90 days before it expired I filed more paperwork to get a 10 year card... this is where we are now. Paperwork filed, biometrics on Monday, and now back to waiting..

SO, due to having to make the trip and given how rarely we actually drive such far distances (an hour tops normally), I decided I would take the chance to tell you all a little more about my neck of the woods.

Most of the drive to Des Moines from my home town is via I-80 which in my area also means driving past the World's Largest Truck Stop.
Stack of augers

Seeing the drive is so long there's a fair few towns that we go through. Passed a town called Kellogg (had to laugh :P), one called What Cheer (nope, not joking), a lot of.. questionably named service stations, some really sweetly named ones, and some really awesome sculptures outside Kinze in Williamsburg, Iowa. I've added a few pics I was able to find on the internet of the sculptures because it's pretty hard to get a pic quickly while driving past. All the "sculptures" are made with actual machinery which I'm sure some of you know is REALLY expensive equipment. 
Pretty sunset & the Auger sculpture
Seeder sculpture. I'm pretty sure that "top" part moves...
So the tractors and all that are a good "guy" thing in Williamsburg but don't think this town has let down the girls! We also drove past a clothing outlet mall called Tanger. Unfortunately my husband wasn't really too interested but it's definitely on my "to do" list when I get the chance :D

One cool thing about rest stops that I noticed (don't remember seeing it last time we took this trip) is the presence of WiFi!! Who knew! We didn't actually pull over and use it but that's a handy little addition the Iowa government have added to their rest stops :) Especially great for family trips when mum or dad is done driving and the kids want to watch a movie or something.

We also drove past some signs for the Amana colonies. I'm hoping when mum comes to visit that we'll pay those a visit. I've been told it's something worth going to see.

We DID however get the chance to stop at the mall in Coralville called Coral Ridge. It's big enough it houses an indoor ice-skating rink. We didn't give that a try (my husband isn't a fan) but we did take the opportunity (or should I say I did) to window shop a bit eat lunch (thanks Panda Express for the new yummy Angus steak dish) and enjoyed the AC before the drive home.

For your viewing pleasure I've also added a couple of pics I took of the country side. My husband decided on the way home to take the "scenic route" for the last, oh, 1/2 hour or so. Enjoy :)
Some cute country house

Corn corn everywhere... :D

The back of my truck kicking up dust

No comments:

Post a Comment