Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Cinco de Mayo - Mexican Celebration

Celebrate Cinco de Mayo!
Monday, May 5, 2014 was Cinco de Mayo which quite literally means "fifth of May" in Spanish.

Here in the US, Cinco de Mayo is celebration of Mexican heritage and pride, but you don't get the day off work!

I admit I was confused my first year here... it's not like America celebrates Australia Day or any other countries "special days", so why are we celebrating a Mexican holiday?

My source of confusion it turns out was due to misinformation. I had been told that it was "Mexico Independence Day" but it's not (that's in September). Instead, it commemorates the Mexican victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, where the Mexican Army won the battle despite being smaller and ill-equipped.

Spanish dancers
Cinco de Mayo originated during the first years of the Civil War in Mexican-American communities living in the American West (California specifically) to celebrate freedom and democracy.

In many cities in the United States, there are parades and festivities featuring mariachi music, dancing, and Mexican food (mmm nachos!).

The celebration is actually a bigger deal in the United States than in Mexico and has become a drinking celebration here in the U.S, apparently nicknamed Cinco de Drinko and even Gringo de Mayo (though to be honest I haven't heard either of those nicknames, I hear a lot of people talking about getting drunk on tequila and margaritas). In Mexico, Cinco de Mayo is observed with political speeches and battle reenactments.


I don't celebrate Cinco de Mayo myself but I did have enchiladas for lunch :)

Sources:
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_Mayo
- http://wqad.com/2014/05/05/understanding-cinco-de-mayo/

No comments:

Post a Comment